Thursday 20 March 2014

Two nights out in London

This week, after an early supper, I’ve walked to the station and caught one of the evening trains to London on both Tuesday and Wednesday.


The first visit was a much anticipated one and the tickets were purchased back in December.  It was to the Gala Opening Concert to mark the re-instatement of the organ at the Southbank’s Royal Festival Hall.  I’ve been looking forward to this event for weeks yet came away somewhat disappointed and frustrated by a concert that, for me at least, never really took off.  Instead of selecting works at the more popular end of the repertoire the programmers opted instead for a more, how shall I put it, ‘obscure’ evening.  The premier of two works by Peter Maxwell Davies and John Tavener left me cold (actually that’s a somewhat toned down version of what I first wrote!).


I’m not sure what we do with disappointments and the frustrations, even anger, they can bring.  Thinking about it seems somehow appropriate in Lent because surely Jesus faced so many disappointing moments during his last journey to Jerusalem and throughout his final week in the city.


My second ‘night out’ was to Bloomsbury Central Baptist Church to listen to The Revd Dr. Helen Dare deliver the annual Baptist Union Whitley Lecture.  I’m not so sure I was quite looking forward to it as much as the previous night’s organ concert.  Yet...it was a super evening listening to an erudite minister talk about the way we cope with diversity in our congregations and how we might continue to ‘walk together’ even when holding different views and insights.  I came out sensing the whole evening had been a huge privilege.


So, it strikes me you never can tell!  Two evenings and in some ways they turned out ‘the wrong way round’!


For all that I’m glad this evening to be leaving the Oyster card behind and instead walk to church for the third session of our Lent Course on the film The King’s Speech.


Best wishes,


Ian



No comments:

Post a Comment

Othering

  I belong to a couple of book discussion groups, and both have looked at the former Chief Rabbi’s brilliant tome entitled Not in God’s Name...