Saturday 17 January 2015

'Unlearning'

Why is 'unlearning' just so tough?!

Last Wednesday I had an organ lesson.  I've been taking them since the autumn of last year and have a very patient and encouraging teacher! However fitting in the practise is a nightmare and when it comes to the lessons - well just before they start the butterflies in my tummy are going mad.  It's like being back at school again and realising you've forgotten your homework! (Actually Wednesday's lesson went quite well and after I played a piece my teacher said in that rather 'surprised' way - 'sounds like you've been practising then'!)

So I'm glad I'm doing it as it's been a long time ambition of mine to get better at the organ - on my 'bucket list' you might say.

However, the truth is I'm having to 'unlearn' the 'bad' habits and incorrect ways of playing that I've picked up over the last forty years.  My biggest problem (apparently) is that I 'substitute' the wrong fingers in the course of playing a piece.  I don't know I'm doing it, it has just come naturally and even after being told ten times by my teacher that I must use fingers number one and three I still use numbers two and four - and can't seem to change and get it right.  On Wednesday I think I wore the teacher down so much that he said as we were drawing to a  close - 'well you seem to get by with your own fingering method - so I suppose if it works for you...'!!!

Strikes me that 'unlearning' is just tough and bad habits are addictive.

Yet...
... might it not be good for me to be more open-minded and unlearn some of my irrational prejudices.
...might it not be wise for me to continue with my theological reading and unlearn some of the pious yet simplistic interpretations I used to hold about scripture.
...might it not be loving of me to put others in my frame of reference more often and unlearn that dominating tendency to always put myself centre stage.

I suspect that 'unlearning' is one of the most difficult yet necessary aspects of growing older.

Best wishes,

Ian
ps As I sign off the snow is falling with some of the biggest flakes I've ever seen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Easter Meals

  Meals figure a great deal in the Easter narratives. The one in the upper room is full of companionship, although tense at times.  And the ...