Thursday 9 April 2015

A 'God Moment' last weekend?

Last Saturday we had the privilege of being guests at a Passover meal (Seder) hosted by the South Bucks Liberal Jewish Community and in a strange way it was one of my highlights this Easter.

We were made to feel so welcome from the word go with so many people coming up to us and introducing themselves.  Rabbi Rachel guided us through the service giving us background information as we went along.

One or two aspects of the evening live in my memory:

* This particular Community (being Liberal Jews) had an orange on the Seder plate.  It's there because a rather reactionary Rabbi once said it would be as incongruous to have it as to have women worshipping in a synagogue alongside men.  Well that did it for some Communities - and to show that they believe in non-discrimination they proudly put the orange alongside the bitter herbs!  Just one example of the way this branch of Judaism isn't shackled to the past but is constantly evolving.

*  When the unleavened bread was passed round - being a good Baptist I broke off a tiny bit - rather like I would at communion.  The lady opposite smiled and said I needed a much bigger chunk - so I had to have a second go!  I was so touched by the open-hearted informality that characterised this Passover.

*  As is customary a Cup for Elijah was on the table - the one who will come one day and 'answer our questions' - yet this Community constantly seems to be developing and deepening their rituals so on Saturday Elijah's empty cup was passed to everyone - who then poured a little of their own wine into it - by the end the cup was full representing that everyone has a part to play in bringing about the Messianic Kingdom.

*  Much was made of the Shank bone on the Seder Plate - representing that last Passover Meal eaten in Egypt before freedom.  Yet today, it seems, many Jews are vegetarians so a great discussion ensued about what they would have on their plate instead.  The family opposite us said they just placed a plastic sheep!  Rabbi Rachel said she'd heard of Paschal 'Yams'!  This just sums up the atmosphere of the evening - one of sharing, often in a light hearted way, some very deep truths.  There was simply no forced air of solemnity - and in a sense that's a very different atmosphere from our own at communion.

*  There was a raffle - so that felt very human!

*  Perhaps for me the most precious moment came as we were about to leave.  It had been a splendid evening, one in which I sensed we shared so much in common.  On my way out two men, an older and younger guy, independently yet consecutively grabbed my hand, shook it, looked into my eyes and smiled saying 'Happy Easter'.  To be given that greeting, at that event by those people was a profoundly humbling moment - one that showed so much mutual respect for our different faiths.

So, you see, in a strange way my Easter was deepened by this event and I thank God for it.

All good wishes,

Ian




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where your trasure is...

  I often use the phrase Seekers after Truth when I’m leading worship because I think it’s an honest description of where most of us find ou...